Thursday, August 8, 2013

which paint is right for you?

       Everyone keeps asking me what's the difference with milk paint and chalk paint? Well here is my take on each one. I will try my best to be truthful and impartial. I am not using any product exclusively so I will be mentioning several paint lines and products. I currently have a huge selection of different brands of paints, topcoats and primers, etc.. I have been mixing and matching products to find what will keep my collection unique.
 
          MILK PAINT
 Milk paint and chalk paint are completely different kinds of paint but they both give an amazing paint finish. It's the oldest paint on the market and the only paint that gives you an authentic primitive look. It natural & non toxic and comes in powder form.
 Just add water and stir. I normally stir 1 part water to 1 part milk paint powder. 1 part can be anything: 1 Table spoon, 1 cup, etc. Stir thoroughly by hand or use an electric blender/mixer for 3 minutes to dissolve all lumps. Milk paint goes bad so use it on the day it is mixed or leave it overnight in fridge to use the next day. It has an indefinite shelf life, it can be used once every ten years and it's powder form will still be good. NO SANDING REQUIRED if your piece is decent or in good condition.
You can apply it with a brush, roller or sprayer. It can be applied in a few hours. It's easy and forgiving It soaks into the wood unlike regular paint. For the best effect, use thinner, not thicker coats. Milk paint requires a bonding agent if you do not want an antique or distressed look. Without bonding agent it will distress it self overtime. Just add it to your milk paint before you start painting. Chipping is unpredictable when using it over an existing finish. Sometimes it will chip a lot, a little, sometimes not at all. It does need a protective topcoat(oil, poly, wax, polycrylic, etc. You can create new colors by mixing powders. It has a mind of it's own which means it looks and sticks differently on each piece. This can be worrisome for others but it's like Christmas morning for me. It resist certain finishes, creating an authentic chippy look especially super smooth and shinny pieces. A slightly watery, thin look is normal 2-3 layers create an amazing depth of color. It's the absolute best paint for raw wood and porous surfaces because it soaks in like a stain but looks like a paint. I absolutely love using it with vintage or antique pieces, but it can be used for walls, floors, cabinetry, fabric and more.
 
CHALK PAINT
 Chalk paint can be non toxic or toxic depending on supplier. No SANDING or SCRAPING REQUIRED. It sticks easily to create a custom chalk paint color Their finishes are a little consistent Its fast drying Chalk paint is hard wearing, durable paint It's thick so 1 to 2 coats give complete coverage but can become gloppy if you need to apply more coats Some chalk paint brands you can distress easily by using a damp rag. You can distress before or after waxing. You can also sand to get that soft distressed look. Colors can be mixed It can be pricey but goes a long way I heard that it makes a great primer for milk paint Chalk paint can be sprayed, rolled or brushed I prefer to use chalk paint on slick finishes, but its great on cabinets, metal, leather, laminate, fabric, counter tops, plastic, glass, painted surfaces and raw wood Chalk paint needs to be sealed(wax) to make it resilient to stains and marks If I want simple elegant furniture face lifts I use chalk paint.

  There are several boutique chalk paints that I like but I prefer to make most of my chalk paint. You simply use latex paint mixed with either Plaster of Paris, grout, and powdered calcium carbonate. You can also check out InMyOwnStyle, Elizabeth & Co and Lilyfildlife for chalk paint recipes and miss mustard seed for milk paint tutorials. These are inexpensive and simple! No more excuses for not getting your hands on some chalk paint. Let's do our own projects and create the look we want in our homes! Why spend buckets of money on things we know we can do for less? In my Sweet Brown voice "Ain't Nobody Got Time Fo Dat!" There you have it-my opinion about milk paint and chalk paint. I hope my personal paint journey helps all of you who are thinking about giving it a try. Come back because I will take you through this chest of drawer transformation  using Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint. Let's get ready to paint!


Yadah Nicole




1 comment: